Where do you normally live? NormallyReside

You need cover for a:


Are you already travelling? TripType


Visiting more than one Country? TripType


Cover is to start on: ChoseDate

Show Date

And end on:

End Date

You want insurance for: InsuranceFor

Number of Travellers:

Travellers Age(s): NumberofTraveller

Your age

True Traveller Insurance is rated 9.3 out of 10 based on 562 customer reviews.



562 customer reviews on Trustpilot

See Trustpilot reviews

There have always been a lot of questions when it comes to Travel Insurance, and we would urge you to read these frequently asked questions as it will clear up a number of things for you when it comes to considering travel insurance for your journeys. The full Policy is available for you to download here which has all the "small print" included in it.

We’ve tried to split up the questions into 5 areas to help you get through them all, but if we’ve missed anything, please don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll answer your question, and if we get asked the same question a number of times we’ll add it to this list.

Who runs this Insurance?

The True Traveller was originally a travel company who arranged adventure holidays all over the world. We also had our own travel insurance scheme, and after a few years we put it on a stand-alone website due to the amount of enquiries we had for it. Then, move forward another few years we were doing so much insurance it affected our ability to handle the tours side as well, we decided to close down the tours side and just concentrate on insurance.

We are registered with the Financial Conduct Authority, which is the UK Governments regulator for all financial firms. Our registration number is 756107, which you can check on the FCA website by clicking here.

Our travel policy is insured by AWP P&C S.A. AWP is part of the Allianz Group, who, according to Forbes Magazine’s 2015 Ranking of the World's Biggest Public Companies, are the world's largest insurance company and the 21st-largest company in the World.

In the unlikely event of the Insurer being unable to meet their liabilities, you may be entitled to compensation under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

This is the most important part of your travel insurance, as these are the people who help you if you have an accident or ill on your trip. We use Intana Global, who are based in London and offer multi-lingual telephone assistance, to coordinate and liaise with patients, their families, doctors, nurses and specialists across the world no matter what the time or language spoken locally.

Intana Global's multi-lingual staff are on hand 24 hours a day to help and advise patients on any medical problem.

Well, we don’t think they are, and we're always looking at ways at reducing them without reducing our levels of service, and more importantly, the claims service! But, from a straw poll, one third of our customers think we're cheap, one third think we’re priced at just the right level, and everyone else think we're too expensive!

No we don’t. It is discussed internally from time to time, and essentially we would have to increase all the premiums to all of our clients all the time, to offer discounts to just some of our clients some of the time. We think that’s unfair, so we don’t offer discount codes.

Well, it’s not as if we’ve not ever been asked! However we believe that for some things, Price Comparison Websites are marvellous. If you want to change your internet provider, as it’s all about price and as the product is identical it’s easy to see the savings. Travel Insurance though is a lot more complex, with different levels of cover, which is impossible to judge by price alone. For example, a very cheap Policy will most probably not arrange a repatriation for you by Helicopter high up in the mountains of Nepal if you are injured. So for that reason alone, we won’t go on Comparison Websites.

Can I buy this Insurance?

As we’re regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and have what is called "passporting" rights, we’re also authorised for the sale of insurance throughout all EEA Countries. So if you’re in Spain, for example, you can take out cover online, and if you need to be brought home due to a medical condition, we take you back to Spain, your home country.

Single Trip Insurance is valid for a single journey which you intend to make, whether it be 7 days on a holiday to Spain, or 12 months or more travelling around the world. It’s a Single Trip, not a single country! Multi-Trip is designed for multiple trips from and back to your home country; useful for example if you have a winter sports holiday, a summer holiday and maybe the odd weekend abroad. The maximum duration of each trip, as far as we’re concerned, cannot exceed 30 or 70 days, depending on which policy you take out. In our case, Backpacker Insurance is the same as Single Trip, but other insurers may have a cut down version of their Single Trip policy to sell to "Backpackers".

If you are normally a resident of the UK or an EEA country and your insurance has run out, you may take out cover online with us for Single Trip Policies. This is on the understanding that nothing has occurred at the time of taking out the cover which has led to a claim or may lead to a potential claim. Obviously, this insurance will not pay for your belongings if you’ve already lost them, medical bills if you’ve already incurred them or any other events known to exist at the time of arranging cover which might give rise to a subsequent claim. As a fraud prevention measure, no claims will be accepted within 48 hours of a policy being taken out, with the exception of course of you sustaining a serious injury in connection with an accident.

Yes. If you’re not entirely sure how long you’ll be away, you can, for example, take a policy for three months, and then extend it for a further two months, giving you a five month policy. The cost of the extension will be the regular cost for the new period of insurance, less 10%. Note however you only get the discount if you are extending the period of insurance for equal to or less than you have already had. Please go to our Extend Insurance page for further information. Note if you insurance has expired already we cannot do this and you will have to purchase a new policy.

Yes. If, for example, you are travelling for 3 months and eventually settling in Australia, just take out a 3 month policy and it will expire after 3 months or when you arrive at your final destination if this is earlier. Also, if you're off on an extensive Backpacking trip and only have a one way ticket and you haven't got your return ticket as yet, you can take out as much as 18 months cover (12 months if you’re aged over 50) and that will last until the end of your 18 months. If you're going to travel then for even longer, you can take out another policy to cover you for your on-going travel. Once you arrive at your final destination the insurance will cease.

If you, or a close relative, have a "defined" pre-existing medical condition, cover is excluded, unless your condition is an Automatically Covered Pre-existing Medical Condition. If in doubt, please call our Medical Screening Helpline on +44 (0)330 660 0563. They will ask for details of your travel plans and your condition, and they will advise if you will be covered or not. In some circumstances they will ask for an additional premium which is payable directly to the medical screening company, and in some cases they will advise that they will not cover that particular medical condition. This means that the Insurance is still valid, but cover for the Medical Condition in question will be excluded.

This cover for medical expenses is subject to the Insured individual returning back home with a minimum of 12 weeks prior to the estimated due date. If travelling beyond this time no cover is available in respect of pregnancy. If there are any known gynaecological disorders this should be considered a pre-existing medical condition which will need to be disclosed to the medical screening helpline. Please ensure you are travelling with the consent of your Doctor and the airline in question.

Yes. This insurance is valid for people aged at the time of taking out the policy up to 65 years of age for our Single Trip and Annual Multi-Trip Policies. Unfortunately, as our policies are predominately for Adventurous Activities, we cannot offer rates for persons aged 66 or more. We suggest you try GoodtoGoInsurance, who you can reach by clicking here.

We can arrange cover for 24 months in one go for Worldwide including USA & Canada if you need this to satisfy the Working Holiday (IEC) Visa requirements for Canada. For all other journeys, you can apply from the beginning for 18 months, and then you can extend by up to 12 months at a time if you’re still travelling. Persons aged 50 or more can only apply for cover for 12 months at any one time.

On our policies, non-manual/clerical work is included as standard, and this even extends to working as a classroom teacher or assistant, au pair, nanny, child-minder bar and restaurant work. If you’re going to be doing Manual Labour on your trip, chose the Adventure Activity Pack when you take out your cover. This will then cover you for general farm work and fruit picking. This includes driving tractors and other similar farm vehicles so long as you comply with any appropriate license requirements; doctor, nurse, midwife and care work (including medical elective trips but not dental elective); light building and DIY e.g. painting, decorating or basic construction work using light power tools only. Permitted Manual Work is not covered if it involves the use of plant/trade/industrial machinery, non-domestic power tools or working at a height of over 2 metres.

Once again, if you take the Adventure Pack, this will allow you to participate in community or wildlife based conservation/project work when arranged by a professional organisation. It will also cover community/charity based supervised building or renovation projects or other Manual Work again provided the activity doesn’t involves the use of plant/trade/industrial/agricultural machinery (other than tractors), non-domestic power tools or working at a height of over 2 metres.

You may pay online with MasterCard, Visa or American Express, or you can use your PayPal account. Note there is no supplement charged by paying by card. If you use a foreign registered card, the amount is debited in pounds sterling, and your credit card company use their own exchange rate to convert it to the currency on your card. Generally, they use the interbank rate plus about 3%, which is roughly the same rate as you would get at a bureau de change. Check with your card issuer if you’re not sure though!

When you complete your insurance application, the system debits your payment card using the WorldPay payment processing system, or debits your PayPal account if you’ve used that instead, and then you can then immediately download your Validation Certificate. We will also email you your Certificate, both to the traveller and the person who paid for the insurance if they differ.

Questions when you're travelling.

No, sorry! If you’re unsure how long you’re going to be away, take a shorter policy and extend it whilst you are away.

If you want to return home during your travels - say for the wedding of a close friend, or Christmas with your family, your cover allows you to do this. Your cover will be suspended from the time that you arrive in your home country, until the moment you resume your original journey. You don’t have to cancel your policy and buy a new one, and you do not need to notify us of any trip home. Note however if you have to come back early as a result of a claim, then the insurance ends as it’s done its job.

Yes. When you contact the 24 hour Emergency Medical Assistance Service, should Helicopter/Air Ambulances be required if necessary on medical grounds it would normally be authorised by the insurers. Note in Nepal, if you need a Helicopter then a higher excess of £750 applies.

This policy covers accident and emergency expenses only and is not a private health insurance policy. This means that you are covered if there is a sudden and unexpected accident or if you become ill during a trip. We will pay for private treatment, but only if there is no appropriate reciprocal health agreement in existence and no public medical service available. Likewise we would not expect you to be treated in a medical facility if it does not have the equivalent care that we would expect ourselves under European standards. However, if you have been taken to a private hospital and there is a public service in the area that we can move you too safely, then we reserve the right to organise a transfer where is it medically appropriate.

If there is any activity which you intend to take part in which isn’t in the activity packs, just contact us with the relevant details and we can see if we can get it included within an Adventure Pack, or at an additional premium.

If you need to add on an activity pack or add on Winter Sports, or even change the area of cover on your policy, just contact us and tell us what you need. We’ll reply back to you within 24 hours with any additional premium you have to pay and a secure link for you to pay on. You end up paying exactly the same as you would have done if you’d chosen those options from the get-go. We don’t charge administration fees. Do note though, the one thing we cannot add on after departure is the Zero Excess Option.

The airlines actually cover these themselves, but only if your flights are on the same e-ticket. If your delivering airline is late, they, under IATA regulations, have to liaise with the onward airline to get you on another flight. If this results in an extended delay, they also have to provide refreshments and even hotel accommodation if necessary. If you use separate tickets, then you lose all rights to have any airline do anything and you cannot claim on your insurance as it isn’t covered. Sometimes it does work out much cheaper to use separate tickets, and when we used to book travel arrangements ourselves when we were a tour operator, we always used to build in at least a 4-hour connection to try to mitigate any problems which may occur.

No, we don't cover mountaineering, which for the avoidance of doubt is combination of walking and scrambling as well as rock and ice climbing in mountainous areas, for example Everest North Ridge, Manaslu and Ama Dablam in Nepal. If you can trek to the top of a mountain then that is fine, like Kilimanjaro in Tanzania or Mera Peak in Nepal, but if you need to use ropes to climb up vertical or near vertical cliff faces at very high altitude, then we don't cover that.

Yes. On the basic Traveller Activity Pack you can ride a Motorbike "on road" under 125cc when you’re away, as long as you hold a licence and wear a crash helmet, you are covered medically. However, we would advise you to be very cautious on doing this if you are not familiar with riding a motorbike. In Thailand, 38 people get killed every day riding mopeds; that’s over 13,000 a year, which, to put into context, is five times more than everyone who gets killed on the roads in the UK every year from any type road traffic accident, from car drivers, motorbike riders and pedestrians. On the Adventure Pack, if you hold the appropriate licence, you can ride a Motorbike on road over 125cc, and on the Extreme Adventure Pack, you can ride a motorbike off-road under 250cc. Again in both instances, you must wear a crash helmet. In all cases, if you ride any motorbike without a crash helmet, you have no cover whatsoever!

Also note we only cover occasional motorbike use. If you’re using a motorbike as your main mode of transport or going motorbike touring, then we can’t cover that.

Motorbike Taxis: You are covered when riding pillion on a Motorbike Taxi under 125cc and wear a crash helmet. You will come across Motorbike Taxis throughout Asia and in some parts of South America. They are cheap, but many are unregulated and the drivers have in some cases, no licence, insurance, nor training and may well be intoxicated by alcohol or drugs. The bikes themselves are in the most poorly maintained. In the case of an accident and a subsequent medical claim, you may find yourself uninsured. So we have one word of advice when it comes to Motorbike Taxis. Don’t.

Our insurer excludes cover for claims relating to the effects of alcohol. This does not mean you can’t relax and enjoy yourself by having a glass or two whilst travelling. Please however be warned, if you consume so much alcohol that you decide you can fly off a 10 storey building, it is highly likely that any claim will not be paid for by this travel insurance. Please remember to drink responsibly.

For any very minor outpatient treatments which you may have on your trip, you would normally pay locally and just claim it back from the insurers when you get back. If you don’t have enough money you can contact the emergency service as they are there to help. If treatment is likely to exceed £500 you will need to contact the Emergency Medical Assistance service for authorisation. Obviously any large medical emergencies are totally dealt with by the 24 hour Emergency Medical Assistance Service.
For other claims, you must inform our regular claims handlers within 60 days of the date of the occurrence of any possible claim.
For more information and advice about how to make an insurance claim, please go to our How to make a Claim page.

For travel delay, where this is caused due to acts of terrorism, then you are not covered for the delays that may cause. However, if you get caught up in an act of terrorism which is not relating to a region or country on the Foreign Office "No Go" list, then full medical cover (including repatriation) will be provided under the terms of this policy. Note however that terrorism involving any form of nuclear, chemical or biological agents are specifically excluded.

If you travel to a region or country where the British Foreign Office has an "advise against all travel to" warning against it, then this policy will not pay any claims if you're travelling in such a region or country. If you're travelling to a region or country where the Foreign Office has an "all but essential travel" warning then we may be able to offer cover to you. However, this cover will exclude any claims made as a direct result of the warning being in place, i.e. terrorism. Please contact us for further advice if you’re going to such a region or country.

It all depends how expensive it is! If you elect to take out Baggage & Personal effects cover, you will see that each of the policies detail how much your "valuables" are insured for. However, with us you also have the ability of adding the up to 3 Specified Items up to a maximum value of £450 each (£750 on the Traveller Plus) including mobile phones, based on what is called an indemnity value, which is basically the value of your items at today’s prices less deduction for wear, tear and depreciation. Any items lost, stolen or damaged must be reported to the Police and a written Police Report obtained. No cover is available if items are left unattended and all claims must be supported by the original purchase receipt.

Yes. Obviously if you are in a very remote area where there is no Police Station, any other authority will normally suffice, for example the Hotel Manager.

Yes you must, although you can enrol after the first occasion you need treatment. Australia has a reciprocal health agreement with the United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia, Malta, Italy and the Republic of Ireland, so it makes sense to enrol anyway as the Australian medical system is one of the best in the world, and it helps keep the premiums down! Obviously if you’re not a resident of one of these countries you can’t enrol and your treatment will be paid by the insurers. There are Medicare offices in most large towns and cities in Australia, so just pop in with your passport and sort out your Medicare cover when you get there. If there’s no queue, it usually takes about half an hour to sort out.

If you are involved in an accident and an ambulance is required, then of course the insurance company will settle the claim with the relevant ambulance service. And you've heard correctly – ambulances services in Australia are monstrously expensive!

Yes that’s correct. As of May 2010 the Cuban Authorities insisted that all travellers to Cuba have proper medical insurance, which they will check on arrival. If you don’t have medical insurance, you have to buy their insurance there and then, and it isn’t cheap. AGA International are on the Cuban Government approved list.


Essentially, if you decide for any reason whatsoever that you do not want the insurance after you’ve taken it out, if you contact us in writing within 14 days of taking out the policy and the policy hasn't started nor have you made a claim or intend to make a claim, we will refund your premium in full; no questions asked. If you cancel the policy after the 14 Day period has elapsed or have taken out Insurance whilst you are already travelling, no refund of premium is available.

Our medical warranty is simplicity itself. If you can say "No" to all of the following six questions, then you don't need to phone our medical screening service.
1. You/they were aware of any reason why the trip could be cancelled or curtailed or of any medical condition which could result in a claim.
2. You/they have, during the 12 months before this insurance started, suffered from or received treatment, advice or medication for any chronic, ongoing or recurring illness or condition. (A chronic condition is one lasting three months or more).
3. You/they were travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner or in order to get medical treatment abroad.
4. You/they have been diagnosed as having a terminal illness.
5. You/they were receiving, recovering from, or on a waiting list for in-patient treatment in a hospital or nursing home.
6. You/they were waiting for the results of tests or investigations, or awaiting a referral for an existing medical condition.

Under this policy, an "Immediate Relative" is defined as mother, father, sister, brother, wife, husband, daughter, son, grandparent, grandchild, parent-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, step-parent, step-child, step-brother or step-sister.

This is basically the amount which will be deducted by the insurer against claims. So, for example, if you lost all your luggage and claimed back £500 and this was approved by the insurer, they would deduct £75 from that claim and you’d receive £425.
The excess vary depending on which policy you take out, and is clearly displayed when you buy your insurance. You can also take out an Excess Waiver as well, which removes all excesses to zero, with the exception of any air ambulance or helicopter services in Nepal which is required for any respiratory condition where the £750 excess cannot be waived.

Essentially, this means you are covered for accidental injury, death or illness to another person, or accidental loss or damage to material property. To put this into context, here are two examples of each type.

You are on an overland tour, and you pick up a pot of boiling water off the camp fire, realise it’s extremely hot and immediate drop it, but in the process of doing so you badly scold other travellers, which result in them becoming hospitalised and missing the rest of the trip. These other travellers will in all probability sue you for damages. That’s why you need cover for accidental injury.

The other example is that you’ve checked into your hotel in Penang after a day on the beach, and you start running the bath. You then go out onto the balcony to gaze across the sea, have a Gin and Tonic, and slowly doze off to sleep. The bath carries on running, overpowers the overflow, goes all over the floor, seeps over the carpets, then seeps through the floor and damages the room below. The hotel is going to want payment for all the damage, and compensation for the fact that will have to take two rooms out of service whilst the damage is repaired.

Note the Personal Liability cover will not cover you whilst driving a car, motorbike or any other type of machinery (for example Jet-Ski’s and the likes), as this will be covered by the relevant insurance for that, and nor will if cover you for taking part in any trade, business or profession.

Complaints, Reviews and Claims Record.

In the policy itself, there is a whole section devoted to Complaints Procedure, all the way from the first people to complain to right through to the Financial Ombudsman. However, in the first instance please contact The True Traveller to get it sorted out. We know the system better, and it’s in our interest to get any complaints sorted out for you as you’re our client. Our clients are fortunate in as much it’s very rare indeed for us to receive a complaint anyway.

Yes. We use a system called TrustPilot, and you can check out the reviews by clicking here. There are a lot of other reviews all over the web as well, but you'll just have to find them! You'll be invited to review us on TrustPilot a day or so after you've taken out your policy online. Hardly anyone ever reviews us, maybe 10 out of thousands each month, but if you do have a claim, and it goes well or badly, try to leave a review then please as that’s really what people want to read about.

According to a report in early 2016 published by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), 87% of Travel Insurance Claims are paid. As far as we go, for the year March 2015 to March 2016, 94.4% of claims were paid, and it would have been 96.5% of claims had people realized their claim was below the excess. A few claims were denied and the reasons were insufficient evidence (or any evidence at all really) of actually owning lost property they were claiming for. We also had to deny a few claims as people took cover out when already travelling and put in an immediate claim, and we had one instance where part of a claim was denied as the person injured themselves due to excess alcohol.
Our regular claims are handled by a company called CSA, who we’ve used for many years and we find then very efficient, and as you may have read in the first section, our medical assistance service is carried out by Specialty Assist. If you do end up having a claim, and you think it’s not being handled very well, or you think they’re being a bit slow, just make sure you contact us so we can assist you and get things sorted out!