We are only able to insure residents of the UK and Europe.

Please select your country of residence from the following:

  • United Kingdom
  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czechia
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece
  • Guernsey
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Italy
  • Jersey
  • Kosovo
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • Netherlands
  • North Macedonia
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Who is travelling?


Where do you need cover?


Questions when you're travelling.

  • I've lost my Insurance documents. How can I get my details?

    If you've mislaid your insurance documents, just log into My TT Policy where you’ll be able to see all your policies you've taken out with us, as well as download another copy of your Validation Certificate.

  • I have to come home early. Can I get a partial refund on my Insurance?

    No, sorry! If you’re unsure how long you’re going to be away, take a shorter policy and extend it whilst you are away.

  • What happens if I have to return home for a while during my trip?

    If you want to return home during your travels - say for the wedding of a close friend, or Christmas with your family, your cover allows you to do this. Your cover will be suspended from the time that you arrive in your home country, until the moment you resume your original journey. You don’t have to cancel your policy and buy a new one, and you do not need to notify us of any trip home, and you can return home for as long as you like, and as many times as you like.

    However, do note if you have to come back early as a result of a claim, then the insurance ends as it’s done its job, unless you took out Travel Resumption cover when you originally arranged your policy with us.

  • A close relative is very ill, and I must return home early?

    This is what is called Curtailment, where you wish to come home if an immediate relative becomes very ill, or an immediate relative passes away and you wish to return home for their funeral.

    To arrange authority for this sort of scenario, please just go to the Claims page on our website and look at the Curtailment Claims section, as that tells you what you need to do. Essentially though, you can claim back any unused tours, flights or accommodation you cannot get a refund on. In addition, if you already have a flight ticket home, we will pay for any amendment fees you need to pay for that ticket or buy you a new ticket if your original ticket cannot be amended. Do note, if you don’t already have a return ticket back home, this isn’t something you can claim for as you would have had to buy one eventually in any event.

    If you’re away for a long period of time, for example on a working holiday, you may just wish to come home for a short period of time to visit your relative or attend their funeral. In this instance, rather than put in a Curtailment claim which will end your policy, you may wish instead to just exercise a “home visit”, and just fly back to recommence your working holiday afterwards. Doing this will not affect the validity of your policy.

    In all situations, the Claim form for your Curtailment would need to be completed by the patient’s Doctor confirming that at the time you took out your policy, or travelled, that they had seen no substantial likelihood that their patient’s condition (if any existed at that time) would have deteriorated to such a degree to require you to come back. If the patient’s Doctor cannot do this, then any curtailment claim would, in all probability, fail.

    Note: If you took the Travel Resumption option when you took out your cover, and then have a successful Curtailment claim, once you’re ready to recommence your original journey, your policy will pay for your flights back out to recommence your trip, and your flight home again at the end of your policy duration. In addition, your original policy will remain valid.

  • Does this policy include Helicopter/Air Ambulances should I need it?

    Yes. When you contact the 24 hour Emergency Medical Assistance Service, should Helicopter/Air Ambulances be required if necessary on medical grounds it would normally be authorised by the insurers. Note in Nepal, if you need a Helicopter then a higher excess of £750/€900 applies.

  • What do you mean by you’ll move me to a public service hospital?

    This policy covers accident and emergency expenses only and is not a private health insurance policy. This means that you are covered if there is a sudden and unexpected accident or if you become ill during a trip. We will pay for private treatment, but only if there is no appropriate reciprocal health agreement in existence and no public medical service available. Likewise, we would not expect you to be treated in a medical facility if it does not have the equivalent care that we would expect ourselves under European standards. However, if you have been taken to a private hospital and there is a good public service hospital in the area that we can move you to safely, then we reserve the right to organise a transfer where is it medically appropriate.

  • I want to do an activity which you don’t cover!

    If there is any activity which you intend to take part in which isn’t in the activity packs, just contact us with the relevant details and we can see if we can get it included within an Adventure Pack, or at an additional premium.

  • Can I add Winter Sports on as I've now decided to go skiing?

    If you need to add on an activity pack or add on Winter Sports, or even change the area of cover on your policy, just contact us and tell us what you need. We’ll reply back to you within 24 hours with any additional premium you have to pay and a secure link for you to pay on. You end up paying exactly the same as you would have done if you’d chosen those options from the get-go. We don’t charge any administration fees. 

  • Do you cover missed flight connections?

    No, and we’re not aware of any insurance which does, and we’ll explain why. Airlines cover missed flight connections themselves, but only if your flights are on the same e-ticket. If your delivering airline is late, they must, under IATA regulations, liaise with the onward airline to get you on another flight. If this results in an extended delay, they also must provide refreshments and even hotel accommodation if necessary. If you use separate tickets, then you lose all rights to have any airline do anything to help you.

    Sometimes it does work out much cheaper to use separate tickets, but if you do take this risk, ensure you book a minimum of 4 hours between flights, to try to mitigate any delays which may occur due to weather or mechanical breakdown.

  • Do you cover Mountaineering?

    We cover mountaineering up to a maximum altitude of 6,000M on our Ultimate Activity Pack. We define mountaineering as climbing mountains involving ice climbing, rock climbing and mixed climbing where you carry all your belongings with you at all times. Note we do not cover mountaineering without ropes, harnesses, or other protective equipment, climbing in remote or inaccessible regions, exploratory expeditions or new routes. For specialised mountaineering cover, for example to cover the summit of Everest, we suggest you approach the British Mountaineering Council for cover.

    Do not confuse mountaineering with trekking. If you can trek to the top of a mountain then that is fine, like Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Mera or Island Peak in Nepal, you should choose Trekking cover from either the Adventure (to 4,600M) or Extreme Activity Pack (over 4,600M) depending on the altitude you’re trekking to.

  • Does your Insurance cover riding a Motorbike?

    Yes. On the basic Traveller Activity Pack you can ride a Motorbike "on road" under 125cc when you’re away, as long as you hold an appropriate licence valid in your country of residence and wear a crash helmet, you are covered medically. Do note for residents of the UK, to drive a moped under 125cc you must have taken a Compulsory basic training (CBT) course, or of course have a motorcycle licence. However, we would advise you to be very cautious on doing this if you are not familiar with riding a scooter. In Thailand, according to Sky News, 48 people get killed every day riding motorbikes; that’s almost 15,000 a year, which, to put into context, is ten times more than everyone who gets killed on the roads in the UK every year from any type road traffic accident, from car drivers, motorbike riders and pedestrians.

    On the Adventure Pack, if you hold the appropriate licence, you can ride a Motorbike on road over 125cc, and on the Extreme Adventure Pack, you can ride a motorbike off-road under 250cc. Again in both instances, you must wear a crash helmet. In all cases, if you ride any motorbike without a crash helmet, you have no cover whatsoever!

    If you are riding pillion, please ensure that the driver of the vehicle has the correct licence, otherwise, you may well find yourself uninsured in the event of a claim.

    We only cover occasional motorbike use. If you’re using a motorbike as your main mode of transport or going motorbike touring, then we can’t cover that. Due to a succession of accidents leading to life changing injuries, we cannot cover the "Ha Giang Loop" whether as a rider or as a pillion passenger.

    Motorbike Taxis: You are covered when riding pillion on a Motorbike Taxi under 125cc and wear a crash helmet. You will come across Motorbike Taxis throughout Asia and in some parts of South America. They are cheap, but many are unregulated, and the drivers have in some cases, no licence, insurance, nor training and may well be intoxicated by alcohol or drugs. The bikes themselves are usually poorly maintained. In the case of an accident and a subsequent medical claim, you may find yourself uninsured. So, we have one word of advice when it comes to Motorbike Taxis. Don’t.

  • Will my claim be declined if I have been drinking?

    Our insurer excludes cover for claims relating to the effects of alcohol. This does not mean you can’t relax and enjoy yourself by having a glass or two whilst travelling. Please however be warned, if you consume so much alcohol that you decide you can fly off a 10 storey building, it is highly likely that any claim will not be paid for by this travel insurance. Please remember to drink responsibly.

  • Do I have to pay for my own medical bills?

    For any very minor outpatient treatments which you may have on your trip, you would normally pay locally and just claim it back from the insurers when you get back. If you don’t have enough money you can contact the emergency service as they are there to help. If treatment is likely to exceed £500/€600 you will need to contact the Emergency Medical Assistance service for authorisation. Obviously any large medical emergencies are totally dealt with by the 24 hour Emergency Medical Assistance Service.

    For other claims, you must inform our claims handlers within 60 days of the date of the occurrence of any possible claim.

    For more information and advice about how to make an insurance claim, please go to our How to make a Claim page.

  • Does this Insurance cover Acts of Terrorism?

    If you get caught up in an act of terrorism which is not relating to a region or country on the Foreign Office "No Go" list, then full medical cover (including repatriation) will be provided under the terms of this policy. Note however that terrorism involving any form of nuclear, chemical or biological agents are specifically excluded.

  • Am I covered if I travel to a country or region against British Foreign Office advice?

    If you travel to a region or country where the British Foreign Office has an "advise against all travel to" warning against it, then this policy will not pay any claims if you're travelling in such a region or country. If you're travelling to a region or country where the Foreign Office has an "all but essential travel" warning, then we may be able to offer cover to you. However, this cover will exclude any claims made as a direct result of the warning being in place, i.e. terrorism. Please contact us for further advice if you’re going to such a region or country.

    Please check our Coronavirus FAQ section for further information about cover if travelling against Foreign Office advice due to COVID-19 risks.

  • I'm taking an expensive Camera/Laptop/Phone with me. Will this Insurance cover it?

    It all depends how expensive it is! If you elect to take out Baggage & Personal effects cover, you will see that each of the policies detail how much your "valuables" are insured for. However, with us you also have the ability of adding the up to 3 Specified Items up to a maximum value of £450/€550 each (£750/€900 on the Traveller Plus) including mobile phones, based on what is called an indemnity value, which is basically the value of your items at today’s prices less deduction for wear, tear and depreciation. Any items lost, stolen or damaged must be reported to the Police and a written Police Report obtained. No cover is available if items are left unattended and all claims must be supported by the original purchase receipt.

  • If I lose something, do I really need a Police Report?

    Yes. Obviously if you are in a very remote area where there is no Police Station, any other authority will normally suffice, for example the Hotel Manager.

  • I'm going to Australia. Must I enrol in Medicare?

    Yes, you must, although you can enrol after the first occasion you need treatment. Australia has a reciprocal health agreement with the United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia, Malta, Italy and the Republic of Ireland, so it makes sense to enrol anyway as the Australian medical system is one of the best in the world, and it helps keep the premiums down! Obviously if you’re not a resident of one of these countries you can’t enrol, and your treatment will be paid by the insurers. There are Medicare offices in most large towns and cities in Australia, so just pop in with your passport and sort out your Medicare cover when you get there. If there’s no queue, it usually takes about half an hour to sort out.

  • Does your insurance pay for Ambulances in Australia? I've heard they're expensive?

    If you are involved in an accident and an ambulance is required, then of course the insurance company will settle the claim with the relevant ambulance service. And you've heard correctly – ambulances services in Australia are monstrously expensive!

  • I've heard that you need approved Travel Insurance if visiting Cuba?

    Yes that's correct. As of May 2010 the Cuban Authorities insisted that all travellers to Cuba have proper medical insurance, which they will check on arrival. If you don't have medical insurance, you have to buy their insurance there and then, and it isn’t cheap. Inter Partner Assistance are on the Cuban Government approved list.

  • Do you cover Cycle Touring?

    No, unfortunately we can no longer cover Cycle Touring, which we define as where your bicycle is your main mode of transport over long distances. In 2019 we had a succession of very large claims where our customers were hit by motor vehicles and very badly injured, and continuing to cover cycle touring became commercially unviable, regardless of what premium was charged.

    We still cover, as standard, you for occasional use of cycles, if you rent one for a few days on your holiday, for example, or if you're partaking in an organised cycling holiday with a tour operator.

  • How does the 21-day Winter Sports work?

    You’ll see you can take out unlimited Winter Sports, if you’re going to be in resort continually, or a 21-day option if you’re just going to be doing Winter Sports occasionally during the whole period of your policy. These 21-days can be taken consecutively or non-consecutively, and should you have a claim we will just check your electronic ski pass with the resort management to ensure you haven’t exceeded the 21-day limit. If you’re going to exceed the 21 days, just contact us and request to upgrade to the unlimited option. Note the premium you paid for the 21-day option will be deducted from the unlimited option, so you won’t be paying twice.  

  • Why is there a QR Code on my Validation Certificate?

    We do print a QR Code onto all our Certificates with a “Scan to Authenticate” message next to it. Over the years, some people have amended the dates on Certificates to obtain medical treatment when their policies have expired, and some have been changed to prove other forms of insurance by third parties; once as a receipt for a rent deposit!

    If you scan the QR Code with your smartphone, it simply opens a page on our website stating if the insurance cover is live, has expired or has been cancelled.

    You don’t need to scan it to confirm or validate your insurance.

  • What documents do I need to show to Canadian Immigration for the IEC?

    If you’re on the IEC Work Permit scheme for Canada, you may be asked by the CBSA Officer on arrival for proof of insurance. We suggest you print out your Validation Certificate as well as Page 3 of the Policy Document, which shows the cover levels.

    We issue thousands of policies for IEC participants every year, so there’s a good chance the CBSA Officer is familiar with our documentation.

    Do note your insurance must be valid for your intended length of stay in Canada. For UK, Irish, French and Portuguese applicants, it’s 24 months, and for everyone else it’s 12 (including Italy from 2023). If you provide insurance for a duration of less than this, then your work permit may be issued for the length of your insurance, and you will not be able to extend it. See this Canada.ca page for more information.

    From 2024, UK applicants can have a further 1-year permit, on top of the 2 years, and these can run consecutively. Note however it's not a 3-year permit, so 3 years of insurance is not required from the beginning. You can start with 2 years, and upon a successful application for the further year, you can take out an extension policy.

  • Do you cover freestyle skiing or snowboarding?

    Like most insurers, we cover conventional skiing/snowboarding only. There is no cover for any freestyle skiing, jumping, ski-flying or acrobatics, as the claims experience on these activities is very high.

    You can ski in a Terrain Park, and use a rail, mailbox, tabletop, kink etc., (list goes on) without ever leaving the ground/feature. The rail (for beginners) for example, is a flat surface, which you can mount via the man-made snow ramp and dismount the other end using a same man-made snow ramp.

    Not many people need freestyle ski cover anyway, but one specialist insurer who will cover you, for UK residents, is the Ski Club of Great Britain. Do note the premiums they charge do reflect the risk!

  • What happens if an airline cancels my scheduled flight?

    If an airline cancels your scheduled flight, this isn’t something which you can claim for on travel insurance as the airlines, by law, must handle this correctly, by either offering you a different flight at no extra expense to you, or refunding you in full. If they offered you a refund and you accepted it, then, as far as the airline is concerned, that is the end of the matter.

    You can read up more on the ADR website.

    Do note some “low cost” airlines may refuse to book you on another airline, but they must refund you or put you on another of their own flights at no extra cost.

  • Do you cover cancelled flights at Lukla Airport in Nepal?

    Cover is not available for missed departure or missed connections on charter services to or from Lukla Airport in Nepal due to inclement weather, as it happens so regularly. We strongly recommend you allow enough time, ideally a minimum of 2/3 days in Kathmandu at the end of your trek (4 days in Jul/Aug) to ensure you can catch your onward flight, as you will not be able to claim on your policy. 

    Note due to new taxes being introduced in 2023, the cost of a helicopter from Lukla to Kathmandu is priced from US$500, so having that time at the end of your trip is highly recommended.

  • What's the link to get the discount off Airalo eSims?

    If you want 10% off any top up you may need for your Airalo eSim, use this link!

Go Back
Insurance provider

Who runs this Insurance?


Can I buy this Insurance?


Questions when you're travelling.


What does this mean?


Need to Complain – Find out how


Reviews on our website


How do I know you pay claims?


Current information about Coronavirus


Can't find what you're looking for?

The True Traveller Team are available between
9am – 6pm Mon – Fri
Call us 0333 999 3140
Or send us an email.
We answer all emails within 24 hours, 365 days a year.

Send Us a message

Why choose True Traveller?

In partnership with AXA
Already Travelling Cover
92 activities as standard
24/7 emergency assistance
Optional baggage cover
One-way travel insurance
Road and gadget cover
Activity and high risk cover

Trusting your insurer

For us, giving service is first, last and everything. We’re delighted to be rated 5/5 by the independent review service, Reviews.io.

Choose your dates of cover?

Our Insurer

Your True Traveller Policy is insured by Inter Partner Assistance S.A., which is part of the AXA Group, one of the world’s largest insurance companies.


Already Travelling – No Problem

If you’ve already started travelling, and you previous insurance has run out, or you simply forgot before you left to take out travel insurance, you can simply apply online and get cover immediately.

Do however note, if you have already lost an item of baggage, have already seen a medical professional or are feeling ill or have been injured and about to see a medical professional, then we can’t help. Insurance is there to assist you in the event that something may happen, not for things which have already happened.

92 Activities as standard

Your Traveller Policy includes 92 activities as standard, which includes Bungee Jumping, Horse Riding, Safari Touring, Scuba diving to 18M and lots more activities you may end up partaking in on your trip. We even include non-manual work if you’re on a Working Holiday, and include bar and restaurant work as well.

We have our Adventure, Extreme and Ultimate Activity Packs you can select when you apply for your Insurance with us, which covers even more activities, to even include Rock Climbing, Trekking to unlimited altitudes as well as light manual labour again if you’re on a Working Holiday.

24/7 Medical Assistance Service

If you have an accident on your trip and end up in Hospital, AXA Assistance has a team of multi-lingual staff and medical professionals on duty, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can call them from overseas on +44 20 7985 7446, or if you’re in the USA or Canada, you can also call toll free on 1 800 986 6380.

They will be able to assist you and get your medical bills paid, and in cases where it’s medically necessary, arrange to fly you back home for further medical attention.

Choose your Activity Pack

The Traveller Pack is included as standard on all our policies. However you can upgrade to more adventurous activities to ensure you are covered when undertaking these activities. If there’s an activity not listed, just contact us and we will see if we can get it included for you.

Traveller Pack
Abseiling Aerobics
Archery Athletics
Badminton Ballet
Banana Boating | excludes Flying Fish Baseball
Basketball Black Water Rafting (grades 1-3)
Bowls Bungee Jumping (2 jumps)
Camel riding (day tour) Canoeing (inland/ coastal – grades 1-3)
Caving (sightseeing/ tourist attraction) Recreational Visit only Cheerleading
Clay pigeon shooting Cricket
Croquet Cruising (Cruise Ship)
Curling Cycling (incidental to the trip)
Cycling (on an organised tour) Dodge Ball
Dragon Boating (inland/ coastal waters) Dune Bashing
Walking with Elephants (Riding Elephants not covered) Field Hockey
Fitness Training Fishing (inland/ coastal waters) - Sports/ Leisure fishing only – no commercial or rock fishing
Floorball Flying (as a fare paying passenger in a licenced scheduled or chartered aircraft or helicopter)
Football (Soccer) Go Karting
Golf Gymnastics
Horse riding (leisure/ social/ non-competitive) - No racing/ jumping Hot Air ballooning
Ice skating (indoor) Ice skating (outdoor) on a commercially managed rink
Jet boating (inland/ coastal waters) Jet skiing (inland/ coastal – grades 1-3)
Kayaking (inland/ coastal – grades 1-3) Kite boarding (on land or water)
Lacrosse Martial Arts training (non-contact)
Motorcycling (on road under 125cc) (1) – No Motorcycle Touring Netball
Non Manual/ Clerical Work (2) Orienteering
Outdoor endurance courses up to 3 miles Outward Bound Pursuits
Paint Balling/ Airsoft Parachuting (1 jump)
Parasailing/ Parascending (Over water) Racquetball
Rifle range/ Sports shooting River Boarding/ Hydro Speeding (grades 1-3)
Roller Skating/ Rollerblading Rounders
Rowing/ Sculling (inland/ coastal waters – no white water) Running/ Jogging (up to half marathon distance)
Safari Travel Sandboarding/ Sand Skiing
Sailing (inland/ coastal waters) Scuba Diving (up to 18 metres in depth)
Segway Tours (Helmet must be worn) Skateboarding (ramp, half pipe, skate park, street) | excludes Electric Skateboarding
Snorkeling Snowshoeing (Flat Terrain)
Softball Speed Boating (inland/ coastal waters – no white water)
Squash Stand up Paddle Surfing/ Paddle Boarding
Surfing Swimming (pool; enclosed, inland/ coastal waters)
Swimming with Dolphins/ Whales/ Whale Sharks Table Tennis
Tandem Skydive (1 jump) Tennis
Trampolining Trekking up to 3,000 metres
Triathlon up to Sprint Distance Tubing on rivers (grades 1-2)
Ultimate Frisbee Volleyball
Wall Climbing (Man-made Climbing Walls) – No soloing Water Polo
White Water Rafting (grades 1-3) Windsurfing (inland/ coastal)
Yoga Zip Lining
Adventure Pack
Aerial Safari Bicycle Polo
Black Water Rafting (grades 4-5) Bouldering – No soloing
Boxing (training only) Bungee Jumping (3 or more jumps)
Camel Trekking (overnight/ main mode of transport) Canyon Swinging
Canyoning Canoeing (inland/coastal – grades 4-5)
Dirt Boarding Dogsledding (on recognised trails)
Fencing Fishing (outside coastal waters/ deep sea) – Sport/ Leisure Fishing only
Fly By Wire Glacier Walking
Horse riding (overnight/main mode of transport) Kayaking (inland/coastal – grades 4-5)
Kite Buggy Land Surfing
Marathons Martial Arts - Judo/ Karate /Jiu-Jitsu only (training only)
Motorcycling (on road over 125cc) (3) – No Motorcycle Touring Mountain Biking (off road/ cross country)
Outdoor endurance courses up to 8 miles Outrigger canoeing (inland/ coastal waters)
Quad Biking (Helmet must be worn) Permitted Manual Work (4)
Rock Climbing (outdoor/ traditional/ sport climbing/ bolted/ aid climbing) – No soloing/ Sea Cliff/ Ice Climbing/ Big wall climbing Roller Hockey
Sailing (outside coastal waters) Scuba Diving (up to 40 metres in depth)
Shark Cage Diving Spearfishing
Trekking up to 4,600 metres (N) Triathlon to Middle Distance /Half Ironman
Via Ferrata Volunteering (6)
Water Skiing/ Wakeboarding/ Wake Skating (No jumping) White Water Rafting (grades 4-5)
Extreme Pack
Caving / Potholing (as part of a group, not ice; known routes only) Coasteering
Cycling - BMX Flying (as pilot or passenger of a private light aircraft) - No Stunt/ Aerobatics or Commercial flying.
Gaelic Football Gliding
Horse Riding (Equestrian, Dressage, Show Jumping, Eventing) Hurling
Kite Wing (land, water only) Motorcycling/Trail Biking (off-road under 250cc) (7) – No Motorcycle Touring/ No Motocross
Mountain Biking (using downhill trails and/or mechanical lifts) Outdoor endurance courses up to 13 miles
Ranching and Ranch activities Roller Derby
Rugby (League/ Union) Scuba Diving (up to 50 metres in depth)
Tandem Paragliding (1 flight) Trapeze/ High Wire/ Aerial Silks
Trekking over 4,600 metres (8) (N) Water Skiing (Barefoot)
Ultimate Pack
Climbing (Ice) – No soloing. Hang Gliding
Mountaineering to 6,000M with (with ropes, picks or specialist climbing equipment). (N) Parachuting – More than 1 Jump | excludes Base Jumping
Paragliding/Parapenting Parasailing/Parascending
Polo/Polocrosse Sea Cliff Climbing – No soloing
Powerbocking Skydiving/Tandem Skydiving – More than 1 Jump
Triathlon to Full Distance /Ironman Ultramarathon – Max distance 250km /No Polar Cover

(1) Note you must have the correct licence in your Country of Residence to drive a motorcycle or cover is not available. If you are from the UK, you are only covered if you have either a full Motorcycle Licence, or in the absence of that you have taken a Compulsory basic training (CBT) course in the past two years. A helmet must be worn when riding a motorbike.

(2) Non Manual/Clerical Work means professional, clerical or administrative work or working as a classroom teacher, classroom assistant, au pair, child-minder, bar and restaurant work.

(3) Note you must have the correct motorbike licence in your Country of Residence to drive a motorcycle or cover is not available. A helmet must be worn when riding a motorbike.

(4) Permitted Manual Work means general farm work and fruit picking. This includes driving tractors and other similar farm vehicles so long as you comply with any appropriate license requirements; doctor, nurse, midwife and care work (including medical elective trips but not dental elective); light building and DIY e.g. painting, decorating or basic construction work using light power tools only. Permitted Manual Work is not covered if it involves the use of plant/trade/industrial machinery, non-domestic power tools or working at a height of over 2 metres.

(6) Volunteering means your participation in community or wildlife based conservation/project work when arranged by a professional organisation. This may include caring, teaching or nursing. It may also cover community/charity based supervised building/renovation projects or other Permitted Manual Work, provided the activity does not involve the use of plant/trade/industrial/agricultural machinery (other than tractors), non-domestic power tools or working at a height of over 2 metres.

(7) Note you must have the correct motorbike licence in your Country of Residence to drive a motorcycle or cover is not available. A helmet must be worn when riding a motorbike.

(8) Trekking over 4,600 metres exclude rock climbing at altitude. This is covered by Mountaineering in the Ultimate Pack. However, trekking will include peaks such as Mera Peak and Island Peak in Nepal, as these are treks and no mountaineering skills are required for these summits.

(N) If travelling to Nepal, you must also select the Trekking in Nepal option.

Please Note: The above list of activities is subject to the full policy terms and conditions which we suggest you read to ensure you are happy with the cover you elect to arrange.

Are you already travelling?

Can I take out this Insurance if I’m already abroad?

If you are normally a resident of the UK or Europe and your insurance has run out, you may take out cover online with us for Single Trip policies. This is on the understanding that nothing has occurred at the time of taking out the cover which has led to a claim or may lead to a potential claim. Obviously, this insurance will not pay for your belongings if you’ve already lost them, medical bills if you’ve already incurred them or any other events known to exist at the time of arranging cover which might give rise to a subsequent claim. Note, purely as an anti-fraud measure, there is no cover in the first 48 hours after you’ve taken out your policy, except of course in the case where you suffer an injury as a result of an accident.

Please note if you are already travelling, you MUST select this option otherwise your Policy is not valid.

If I take out Insurance and get ill, where will I get repatriated to?

In the unlikely event of this happening, you will be repatriated back to your home country as long as the appropriate geographic premium has been paid and it has been agreed by the 24 hour Emergency Medical Assistance Service.

Please Note: The above FAQs are subject to the full policy terms and conditions which we suggest you read to ensure you are happy with the cover you elect to arrange.

Where do you normally live?

Your Country of Residence is the country where you:

Note if you have recently been travelling, we do not have any minimum residency requirements. This means, for example, if you are a British Passport holder and have right of abode in the UK, we are not concerned as to how many months in the past year you have been in the UK provided at the time of arranging this insurance you fulfil all the requirements as set out above.

Start and End Dates

The Start Date is the date you leave your home to start your trip, or the date you want cover to start if you're already travelling.

The End Date is the date the policy will expire, so select the date you expect to return home, or the date you expect to reach your destination if you only need one-way cover.

Travellers Ages

Please enter your age that you are today. For infants aged under 1, please enter 0 as the age.

Travelling To Caution

Please select where you are travelling to.

Residence Caution

Please choose your country of residence.

Blank Age Caution

Please enter your age.

Blank Age Caution

Please add the age textbox through spinner plus sign to enter traveller age.

Min Age Zero Caution

Age cannot be zero.

Caution - Age Check

You have entered the ages of all travellers as below 18 years of age. If this is a mistake please go back and correct this error so you can complete your application.

If the ages should all be under 18 years, please note to enter any sort of financial contract the individual purchasing the insurance must be 18 years of age or older.

By continuing, you are confirming that you are a parent or legal guardian on behalf of the child to be insured.

Already travelling Caution

Please check already travelling checkbox.

Important Notice

We can offer travel insurance for you if you've left home and already travelling but only on the strict understanding that nothing has already happened which has led to a claim or may lead to a potential claim.

This means, for example, that if you have already lost an item of baggage, have already seen a medical professional or are feeling ill or have been injured and about to see a medical professional, then this policy will not pay for any part of any claim, and any claim attempted in such situations may be treated as fraud, which is a criminal offence.

To prevent fraudulent claims, cover will not commence until 48 hours after the policy has been purchased, and any illness or injury occurring in this waiting period will be considered a pre-existing condition and will not be covered. However, should you suffer a serious injury in an accident in this 48-hour period, which is verifiable by an Independent Witness, then you will be covered from the date cover commenced.

Note there is no 14-day cooling off period when already travelling overseas so no refund of premium will be made in the event you cancel the policy.

Maximum duration Caution

Sorry, the maximum length of a policy you can have is limited to 366 days if you are 50 years or age or more. Please amend your End date to  in order to get a quote.

Please amend your end date accordingly, and remember it's always possible to extend cover with us even if you're still travelling at the end of this period.

Maximum duration Caution

Sorry, the maximum length of a policy you can have is limited to 548 days if you are 36 years or age or more. Please amend your End date to  in order to get a quote.

Please amend your end date accordingly, and remember it's always possible to extend cover with us even if you're still travelling at the end of this period.

Trip Type Maximum duration Caution

Sorry, the maximum length of a policy you can have is limited to 548 days (18 months). Please amend your End date to  in order to get a quote.

Please amend your end date accordingly, and remember it’s always possible to extend cover with us even if you’re still travelling at the end of this period.

Note: If you need 2 years cover, please change your destination to Worldwide including USA & Canada.

World Wide Trip Maximum duration Caution

Sorry, the maximum length of a policy you can have is limited to 731 days (24 months). Please amend your End date to  in order to get a quote.

Please amend your end date accordingly, and remember it’s always possible to extend cover with us even if you’re still travelling at the end of this period.

Maximum Advance Booking Caution

Sorry, you can only start a policy with a commencement date up to 364 days from today’s date, so please amend your start date.


Sorry, but since most of our insurances are for adventurous activities or for backpackers, the maximum age we are able to insure to is 65, as for our sort of business mix, we’re unable to get rates from Underwriters for ages above this.

For residents of the UK, we recommend you telephone Goodtogoinsurance.com on 0330 024 9949 as they can insure persons aged 66 and above.

Goodtogoinsurance.com is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 471641).

For residents of Europe, we recommend you contact your local AXA Insurance office.


Sorry, but since the majority of our insurances are for adventurous activities or for backpackers, the maximum age we are able to insure to is 65, as for our sort of business mix we’re unable to get rates from Underwriters for ages above this.

We don't know of any travel insurer who will offer cover to any persons aged 66 or more who are already travelling, so we suggest you contact your current insurer to see if they will extend your current cover.

Start Date Caution

Please select the travelling start date.

End Date Caution

Please select the travelling end date.

Important Notice

We have detected that you are using a computer which doesn't appear to be located in your Country of Permanent Residence.

Please be aware that you must choose the "Already Travelling" option on this page to ensure your policy is valid. Without the Already Travelling endorsement shown on your Policy, the policy is simply not valid and claims may be declined.

You may of course be purchasing this insurance for someone else, or you may be using a Corporate Internet routing through another country which we cannot detect, so if that is the case then please contact The True Traveller by telephone where one of our operators will be pleased to assist.

Start Date Caution

The start date of your insurance is in the past. Please correct the start date.


All True Traveller policies include medical, cancellation and curtailment cover for Coronavirus.

For further information about the Coronavirus and your True Traveller policy, please go to the Coronavirus FAQs on our website.

Automatically Covered Pre-existing Medical Conditions

If you have any of the pre-existing medical conditions listed below you are automatically covered on this insurance and you do not need to declare any of these conditions.

Provided the following requirement is met, the list of automatically covered medical conditions are:

Note your travel insurance will not pay for any medication or treatment which may be required to be continued during your trip to control any of these Automatically Accepted Pre-Existing Medical Conditions, for example the costs of Inhalers if you suffer from Asthma, or the cost of your regular check-ups you may need to have to monitor Diabetes. However, your travel insurance will cover the cost of any emergency medical treatment which may be required because of a change in your condition.

Allergies limited to Rhinitis, Chronic Sinusitis, Eczema, Food Intolerance and Hay Fever
Arthritis (the affected person must be able to walk independently at home without the use of mobility aids)
Asthma, providing that you:
  • have no other lung disease
Bell's Palsy
Benign Positional Vertigo
Breast Cancer/Prostate Cancer provided you:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Coeliac Disease
Congenital Blindness
Congenital Deafness
Cystitis (providing there is no ongoing treatment)
Dry Eye Syndrome
Enlarged Prostate (benign only)
Essential Tremor
Folate Deficiency
Gastric Reflux
Hiatus Hernia
Insulin Resistance
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Ligament or tendon injury (provided you are not currently being treated).
Macular Degeneration
Meniere's Disease
Nocturnal Cramps
Pernicious Anaemia
Plantar Fasciitis
Raynaud's Disease
Sleep Apnoea
Sinusitis (providing there is no ongoing treatment)
Solar Keratosis
Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigger Finger
Underactive Thyroid (Hypothyroidism)
Varicose veins in the legs
Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Please Note: The above FAQs are subject to the full policy terms and conditions which we suggest you read to ensure you are happy with the cover you elect to arrange.


The policy definition of an Immediate Relative is Mother, father, sister, brother, wife, husband, daughter, son, grandparent, grandchild, parent-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, step-parent, step-child, step-brother or step-sister.

Depreciation Guide

The following is the guide our claims handlers use on settling claims for lost, stolen or damaged articles:

Item & Depreciation Guide
Bags/suitcases,"High street” jewellery, items containing semi-precious metals or stones, cosmetic jewellery such as cubic zirconia and "everyday" watches and any other miscellaneous items.
Age of item(s) Depreciation Level
0 - 12 months 0%
1 - 2 Years 10%
2 - 3 Years 20%
3 - 4 Years 30%
4 - 5 Years 40%
Then an additional 10% for each year. Over 11 years old the depreciation level is 100%
Age of item(s) Depreciation Level
0 - 12 months 0%
1 - 2 Years 10%
2 - 3 Years 30%
3 - 4 Years 50%
4 - 5 Years 70%
Over 5 Years 100%
Ski Equipment
Age of item(s) Depreciation Level
0 - 12 months 0%
1 - 2 Years 25%
2 - 3 Years 50%
3 - 4 Years 75%
Over 4 Years 100%
Age of item(s) Depreciation Level
0 - 6 months 0%
6 - 12 months 50%
Over 12 months 100%
Electrical valuables e.g. Laptops, Tablets, Computers, Kindles, Mobile Phones & Cameras
Age of item(s) Depreciation Level
0 - 12 months 0%
1 - 2 Years 25%
2 - 3 Years 50%
3 - 4 Years 65%
4 - 5 Years 80%
Over 5 Years 100%
Quality Jewellery (18ct and 22ct gold, diamonds, sapphires, rubies etc) and watches such as Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc.
No Deduction made
Pro-Rata Replacement Costs

So, if your camera cost you £250 and it’s under a year old (and you have relevant receipts for it, or other proof of ownership), you can claim for £250 (less any excess unless you have the excess waiver). If, however, it’s between two to three years old, you’ll only be able to claim £125 (as there’s a 50% deduction for wear and tear), but if it’s over five years old, any claim would fail.